Setting up my first planted tank (3ft)

I have flowering anubias! My anubiases loves me at the moment! The large anubias I bought a couple of months ago as really taken off. I saw starring at my tank (yet again) and I found little flower pods on it! I'm so excited.... I can't believe I'm now a "good" plant keeper!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't the fish pollenate the flowers?

@Michael: Here's a pic to prove it!! HA!

DSCN0044.jpg

Have another question for plant keepers.... how high should I keep the nitrate at? I just tested the water, my ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0 and nitrate = 5 ppm. And this is before a water change.

I've started to dose the tank with a little bit of dry fertilizer mix, coz I thought I noticed some potassium deficiency in my fast growing plants. The dose I put in the tank is about 10% of the total recommended dose. I also didn't want to dose nitrate coz I feel there's more than enough nitrate in my tank due to it's a bit overstocked (considering how many bristlenoses I keep).

Is 5 ppm normal? I have being going easy on feeding my fishes, I do weekly water changes for around 20% for the last few weeks.

Thanks

Just did my second major trim.... I really should trim a bit more, instead at when I have to. My hygrophilias are growing so well!!! I've started 3 new pots with the trimmings. I'm almost running out of space at the bottom of the tank for them! Need to shuffle them around bit... maybe even get rid of some of my driftwoods. Will post another picture soon.

Why thank you...thank you very much....where did I put that Elvis thingy....hmmm this will have to do instead :cheer::dance: :dance: :cheer:

What am I saying!! Sarah started it...Oh...forgot, we were blaming Busman (did I miss the memo? it is still Busmans fault isn't it?)

Edited by FlameDragon

What an amazing tank!!! I've been dreaming of setting up a planted tank for a wee while! But I have to wait for a tank and some space to become available in my place...its not fun waiting when your chomping at the bit to get things started! <_< you're my inspiration!!! :worship: hehe Keep up the awesome work :P

• 3 weeks later...

New pics

IMG_0104.jpg

Just an update

There's not a lot of difference between the last photos and this one. I've just moved all the stem plants to the back of the tank and has move the bylxia into the front creating a step like effect.

I have not added CO2 yet, still adding about 4 drops of the DIY fertiliser mix a week. However I got lazy and extended my weekly water changes to bi-weekly, the plants are doing the same as before (as far as I notice). I have reduced my fish population both bristlenose and endlers, but my endlers are doing their best getting their numbers back to an all time high....

Edited by Joan