Setting up my first planted tank (3ft)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question! For the experienced plant growers, for some reason my plants are growing very slowly. I have no algae problems (unless you count duckweed), all the blackbeard algae has died with my constant "excel" dosing. My anubias are growing nicely, but my usual stem plants (hygrophila and ludwig) are slowing down with their growth.

I have two theories:

- I have reduced the fish population, with angels eating my endler babies and I have sold most of my large females.

- I have done a major trim (as in trim all the way down to just leaving 3 or 4 leaves per stem). I got lazy

Is this a nitrogen deficiency? Should I increase feeding a little, or get rid of my angels coz they're doing too good of a job keeping my endler population in check?

Not trim and just let my plants grow out to max and then trim? coz I damaged them by over trimming?

Question! For the experienced plant growers, for some reason my plants are growing very slowly. I have no algae problems (unless you count duckweed), all the blackbeard algae has died with my constant "excel" dosing. My anubias are growing nicely, but my usual stem plants (hygrophila and ludwig) are slowing down with their growth.

I have two theories:

- I have reduced the fish population, with angels eating my endler babies and I have sold most of my large females.

- I have done a major trim (as in trim all the way down to just leaving 3 or 4 leaves per stem). I got lazy

Is this a nitrogen deficiency? Should I increase feeding a little, or get rid of my angels coz they're doing too good of a job keeping my endler population in check?

Not trim and just let my plants grow out to max and then trim? coz I damaged them by over trimming?

If there growing a little slow I wouldnt worry to much as long as the new growth is showing no signs of defciencies

if tou want to try upping your ferts a little do so but if the plants grow quicker it will just mean more work and if your managing your algae issues I would not try and upset things

as for trimming your asking the wrong person you dont want to see me trim but generally I just tear away at the top of them and let it grow back in

Oh and sumtimes I get the scissors out and that generally works out worse

Ray

I wouldn't describe myself as an experienced plant grower by any means, however, I agree with Ray. If it all seems to be under control and your algae is disappearing or gone then be happy with slow growth. I tend to use the pinch method for trimming my plants unless I have to use the scissors ( <_< again with Ray, not pretty!!). Fish poop is a great fertiliser and if you have removed stock then you have less poop but I'd say that has worked with the excel to control the algae. The plants are out competeing(???) for available nutrients.

God I sound so smart sometimes its scary :scared: :tongue: