Bare-Bottom Planted Spawn Tank

:blink: I don't really like the idea of using anything in tanks not meant for fish :o Especially when the fish in question are betta fry. I read up on the Seachem products, I think I will be getting the Flourish and Flourish excell. Possibly the root tabs as well. It looks like I will need a big bottle of Excell, it is dosed every 24 hrs... I know the nutrients in it only stay useful in the tank for 24 hrs, but is it really necessary to dose every day?

I don't really like the idea of using anything in tanks not meant for fish

LOL! I think I rarely use anything that IS meant for fish! You should see the non-fish stuff in my fishroom. Chopsticks, plastic cups, milk bottles, dust masks, pipettes, turkey basters, pegs, magnets, lolly jars, scourers, desk lamps, kitchen towel, magnifying glass, bird wormer, shell grit, storage tubs, the list goes on!

I am ATM planning to get my hands on some garden peat to see if it is beneficial in the water as the IAL.

PS I realise you mean actually use IN the tank...

Yeah, I meant things that may affect the water and thus the fish in the water. I think the most daring thing I did was puttting a plastic plant that had gravel sand glued together as a base, as well as a fake crocodile...both from an aquarium store, my uncle in greece sent them for me with my grandmother when she went there...I ended up removing them from the tank :(;) I also use popsickle sticks, straws, pipettes, turkey basters, plastic cups, paper dust masks, magnifying glass, mirror, tomato paste jars etc, plastic storage tubs, and a few other things around the tank, sometimes also in the tanks (cups, pippets, basters, paper dust masks.) :( :)

:)

I have learnt a few things in the past week:

While I was cutting off the top half of my wisteria plants and planting them in the gravel in the glass beneath each parent plant, I noticed that the wisteria leaves that had come off the plants over the past few weeks were still floating at the surface...but with roots and budlets at the base of the leaves! So now I know that wisteria can be leaf-propagated as well :) Should I leave these jeaves floating or should I plant them?

I must be doing something right for this to happen :P

I still have not gotten any ferts, but will try to as soon as I can :lol:

The tank finished cycling a few days ago, I took the filter out and put it in a small tank of the old tank water, and then did a 95% waterchange. That way the water conditioner could neutralise the chemicals overnight and I added the filter back to the tank the next night...so no bacteria die etc. I put some ammo-ball pellets in between the sponges just incase though :blink:

My 15 remaining fry and their mother are now happily swimming about their new temporary home :rant:

I put the filter on the lowest flow rate and moved it along towards the back of the tank, with the out-put facing the back glass.

Elodea does not do well planted in glasses, it rots and the gravel stinks...so out one bunch went :)

All but 2 rocks have been removed : a nice piece of petrified wood and the rock with the java moss.

I saw some lovely shallow glass bowls about 4 cm deep and 10cm diameter, 3 for $2, and will be going back to get some soon...will look nice with java fern planted in it :)

Hopefully the plants will have time to fill out nice and thickly by the time someone's next Aussie shipment comes...along with my metallic green mask 8-ray female...Need I say more? :lol: Her intended partner will be arriving sooner though :)

Sounds like it is going well Stefan :blink: Any new pics? I have noticed that with my wisteria leaves also, i had one leaf in my fry tank from a water change, must of been left in the bucket while doing something with the planted tank and it shot roots and a shoot at the bottom of it, i may pull a few more leaves off and put them in there :rant:

Sounds like it is going well Stefan :) Any new pics?

I have noticed that with my wisteria leaves also, i had one leaf in my fry tank from a water change, must of been left in the bucket while doing something with the planted tank and it shot roots and a shoot at the bottom of it, i may pull a few more leaves off and put them in there :rant:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I'll leave the leaves floating untill they become plantlets that can be planted :)

Yes Sir :lol: !

Here is a new pic of the tank :blink:

Posted Image

What do you think of it? Any suggestions? :lol:

from my experience bettas do not like black. anything black causes them to flare. not sure why though. when training a fish for a fight people use black sticks or sheets of black paper to make them flare here. so uh, i don think you should use a black background, just my opinion.

your fish are probably already used to it. its like if you put two of them in jars side by side and let them flare at each other for a few days, eventually they dont even bother. is that stressful for them? im not sure, but i still dont put them on black or dark brown surfaces and try not to have any black backgrounds. this cost me alot of money once, when i left a fighter on a black table in my house for a few days, it had no will to fight left, and lost almost instantly in a fight.

Archived