PeachSlices

Smaragdina Pair

I have a pair in a 2x1x1. The male is much more aggressive than my mahachai and imbellis, but hasn't hurt the female becuase she is too fast and smart for him to catch her.

He has just recently started building bubble nests, so I'm hoping they get down to business soon.

I bred mine several times and the male was a pussy.The last spawn I raised occurred in a 1ft tank.I guess you will have to breed them like an aggro fighter:in a well planted half filled 10 gallon and condition the female separately so she very ready;has her breeding tube down and she shows the vertical barring of a cooperative female.

i've given the female some live black worms and she has no interest =[

shall try live brine shrimp tomorrow hopefully she'll eat.

i've had 3 females die on me now 2 mahachai 1 smaragdina...i'm making them extinct.

Simon

Yeah they are aggressive (aka fiesty), I've had similar in the past and ended up keeping a trio in a 24x12x15 with the water level about 3" from the stop of the tank. Had a tonne of frogbit in it with the water being tea colour due to oak leaves I dropped in with a lot of other plants and slow water movement. Eating was never and issue and had a couple of small spawns. The main issue I found was trying to remove the females afterwards, didn't do that the first time and both girls hunted down most of the fry and ate them. Just something to bear in mind

- KiwiBigD

yay my new female has fungus growing on her and she wont eat YAY $50 spent well

no wonder she was in blue coloured water when she arrived. i knew something was odd. Also part of her bottom fin was missing i thought yeah it'll grow back.

i was not told that she was in any unhealthy condition i thought i was getting a healthy fish like all the others i've gotten in the past. today sucks.

i'm in the process of ordering another female. i have lost heaps of females in the past and they are all my fault but i'm not including this one as my fault.

end of rant.

Simon

Edited by PeachSlices

Where did you get this fish from? Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Not good.

Hope she recovers for you. Best of luck.

Mate i cant tell you who i got them from mate but yeah i hope my next one is in better health or i'll just quit the varient.

Simon

I am assuming this was one I sent to you.

She was in blue water because I send all bettas in bag buddies, which has a blue colour.

This female was eating dry food no problems before being shipped.

Please remember that shipping fish IS STRESSFUL for them. As you have had her for over a week and she is only now developing fungus I would look at the conditions you are keeping her in. Did you put her into soft, slight acidic water with melafix/ketapang on arrival? Have you treated the fungus?

It is really difficult to get wild caught Betta smaragdina, especially the females - I have asked for 12 so far, and all bar one (sent to you) turned out to be males. These are all still healthy and sitting in their tanks waiting for the ever elusive female partner.

If you can, treat her with an antibiotic.

Regards, someone