growing anubias emersed

Today I bought a small aunbias plant damaged by fishes but have a healthy rhizome, I'm intending to grow it back into a nice big plant. I have read that anubias grows more quickly emersed than submerged, and without problems such as algae. Has anyone tried this before? If so, what kind of results did you get?

I have since out the plant into two. Tied to small bits of driftwood, and thrown into a small glass jar with a tight lid for humidity. The plants are in about 2 inches of water, it's just below the height of the leaves. The water is aquarium water with added plant fertiliser for trace elements. I hope this goes well

Long. Okay..... Very long. The tank had a lid! But it was only a small tank -- 20 cm cube. My excuse is that there was no fish in there and so I didn't have to feed anything. And because I don't feel the need to stare at anubias every day, I never looked at it. Until the other day when I was doing the big clean up for the new fish. Some of the roots had grown into the sponge filter.

I have one in a bucket for the last 2 weeks, water just covers roots.75% of the leaves out of the water. no heater no lights.

but a water pump I turn on for 2 hours a day just to keep the water spilling over the leaves.

It looks healthy. deep green. I will split it when the new setup ready.

• 1 month later...

you read correctly, anubias does tend to grow more quickly emersed-wise than submerged. post submerging is when all the problems occur, like algae and leaf-melt. algae growth usually occurs because anubias is a slow growing plant, whereas leaf-melt usually occurs due to the gas inbalance post-submerging, i.e., not enough CO2.

don'y bury the rhizome, keep the plant in a sealed environs and spray the plant to keep the humidity up!

• 6 months later...

I got some anubias at the last betta meeting. I think. Or maybe it was at an aquarium club meeting. Anyway, I didn't have a tank ready for it, of course, and rather than just shove it in a corner I decided to grow it emersed in a takeaway container. I used another takeaway container on top to act as a mini-greenhouse. It sits on top of the tank very close to the lights. It was put on a few new leaves. New leaves are very green and healthy but a lot larger than the original leaves. I'll let it grow a bit more and then I'll put it under water again.

I have grown one emmersed, it grew faster, greener leave and it flowered. Leaf structure does not change. The tank was totally sealed with glad wrap and it was grown atached to wood. When submersed it didn't melt, just slowed down. This was in my African tank.

I have piccies, I'll upload them for you tomorrow.

thanks for the input guys!

I've got it in a plastic container with a lid on top right now. I can see heaps of water condensed on the sides, so that should be sealed tight enough right?

also does it need heat? In melbourne it's pretty cold right now, so I tend to take the container wherever I go right now, because I only go where it's warm :P

and does it need substrate? currently I have it in really muddy/boggy mix of potting soil and vermiculite... I'm not sure why though :confused: