Dazer

Macrostoma hobbyists

Hi guys, I wonder if anyone has bought the new shipment of macrostoma? I bought a pair of macrosoma which arrived last Wednesday and they are still on a hunger strike. I wonder if anyone of you guys can advise me on how to get them to start feeding? Thanks

I'd try mossie larva....

Perhaps even hunt down some ants or termites?

brine shrimp

my Mahachais ate and spat food when i first got them. just feed them some live stuff then start feeding the stuff you want to feed them then they'll get the hand of it :D

Simon

couldn't afford to buy any at the time (tyres, car rego, house payment, electricity bill all ganged up on me at once!) but would love to see pics when your mac's settle in Rod & Simon

Hope yours gets the idea of eating and does well for you Rod... seems like yours is doing well Simon ..

All the best with them...

Just for the record.......... :D

I don't have any macrostoma....I opted for smaller cousins.....rubra

damn.... sorry meant hope Dazer gets their macs eating soon....

Rod ... the rubra's can be a very nice looking fish too - hope they do well for you....

They need to be feed on an diet of golden shrimp only :P

Have you tried live food, mozzie wrigglers etc?

i dont have Macs i'm just showing how i got my mahachais to eat. i tried feeding him frozen brine but the picky thing wanted live ones. *dies* until he found out that freeze dried black worms are yummy.

i wish i got Macs.i had the chance to get a male but what am i going to do with just a male?

Simon

Mine ate fine for a couple of days then the female stopped eating and had clamped fins. I had a closer look at her under the lights and discovered she had velvet. You might like to check for that. Also, are you keeping them in low pH water? The water they came bagged in was about pH 4.5-5.

Good point browserau

Are they in very soft....very acid water???

Hi guys, I have achieved success. My pair finally decided to have a liking on live blackworms which I bought today. Female was the first to eat followed by the male. So far the pair has been peaceful towards each other with no signs of aggression. I'll continue to monitor the pair.

Hi Dazer, where are you located?

Macs are super sensitive - they are NOT a beginner fish. Every time you water change, move, change the temp, water comp, pH etc they will get velvet.

Here they are housed in almost pure rain water with enough ketapang extract to make the water a strong tea colour. Any sign of velvet treat with white spot cure immediately. It will clear in a matter of days.

We feed live black worms and live mossie larvae. They were eating pellets at the breeders place, so you should be able to get them back onto that once they settle in.

They spawned in the tanks here while waiting to be shipped.

Best regards, someone

I'm using RO water for the tank as I have no access to rainwater. Been using ketapang extract provided and I'm waiting for my shipment of ketapang leaves from Thailand to arrive. I have been using dried banana leaves for the time being. My freezer is stacked with 2 slabs of hikari bloodworm, 1 slab of brine shrimp and a box of live blackworms in my cooler compartment. I never know that keeping macs is so expensive when it comes to food. Hope to wean the macs to take dried food eventually.

Here's the pic of my pair. Kind of disappointed that the male has an eye defect

P1020065.jpg

Here's the front view of male.

P1020066.jpg

Bill Buhargiar down here has had macros for 6 months or more,unfortunately 2 males.He has found them very fussy eaters and not gluttons like the rest of the clan.They are in a big sumped set up with water at 4.5 or so.Ive found with other wilds that at the very low pHs velvet becomes less of a problem (eg coccina group at pH 3.0 never got it)not much lives in those conditions bar the fish!!

I keep Nothos which are very susceptible to velvet and they like alkaline water.I keep them in water with a little copper in it and avoid any overcrowding.The old timers used to put pennies in the tanks for a little copper.(I have a copper test kit just to make sure)

Good luck with them Quite a challenge

Wow, had never bothered to search for pics of macs, and hadn't realised how colorful they can be. Look great! I kinda like the eye thing- gives him character and makes him look like he's straight out of some Chinese ghost story!

Guys, I think my male is holding a mouthful of eggs now. The female now has a hearty appetite hunting for worms. Will monitor the tank for the next 2 weeks to see whether the eggs can hatch

fingers crossed for the mouthful.... shame the male has a bung eye.... he has nice colour by the looks of the pics....

Hi guys, some updates. Yesterday I had my 3rd spawn with my 2nd spawn, 25/11/2010 being eaten up by the male on the 2nd day. Male proved to be a picky eater refusing to touch any of the dried food I have introduced. I have been conditioning the pair with live blackworms before the spawn. Keeping my fingers crossed that he can resist the temptation of eating the eggs again. One observation to note is that the female will start to show dark stripes on her body once she is is ready. My female macro will faithfully swim next to the male trying to entice him in a body wrap position. A website I recommend for macro hobbyists is ultimatebetta.com. The site has lots of information and pics of macrostoma.