Betta compuncta help

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys,

I have three Betta Compuncta(two males, one female), I have one of the pairs in a divided two foot tank and the single male in a different divided two foot tank. The pair are going well, while the single male has been hiding for the last three weeks since I got him, I understand that they need time to feel comfortable but I am worried because I have not seen him eat.

The water readings are recorded following;

Ph - 6.2 (Indian Almond Leaves have contributed to this reading.)

Ammonia- 0

Nirite - 0

Nirate - 0

The tank is planted very well with ferns and moss, there are pots and driftwood in the tank the tank, there is also smaller Danios in the tank. I try and feed him Blackworms, I saw him bite one and spit it out, he does not eat dry food. I dropped the temp from 27 degrees to 25 and he seems a little more happy due to the fact that he is now in the cave not behind the filter box. Ultimately, I have not done anything different for the pair which is eating.

Kind Regards.

Posted

try mossie larvae.

I try to set up buckets of these for harvest when I have wild bettas in stock. It is important to harvest the larvae before they pupate as they are quick to turn into adult mossies soon after!

It is the most natural food for bettas.

Cheers, J

Posted

I had the same issues with a patoti girl.... she eventually got the hang of pellets falling past her nose and now she wolfs them down... gradually got her used to the pellets dropping in at the same time as mozzie wrigglers... she now will attack literally anything that hits the surface of the water....

had no troubles with the compuncta's with FD Black Worms and FD Blood Worms, white worms, and pellets... they are eating machines....

Posted

Hey guys thanks for the help, I went outside to the bucket I have out there and found a few mozzie wrigglers and I also found live bloodworms. I will give them a try and update you guys. Also the other problem is he is always hiding, literally 24 hours a day, I may see him once or twice in the day.

Posted

Once he works out you're the source of his food he'll be greeting you enthusiastically.... :)

My compuncta's hide under java moss but soon as the tank lid moves they're at the top waiting .... the female will actually jump at my fingers as I'm dropping in FD blackworms... scared the hell out of me first time she did it!