Batch testing and wild bettas

188 posts in this topic

Posted

Yes I have bought a number of fish off someone but unfortunately even she does not have the variety of Kribs that were available in Australia only about 5 years ago.

Anyway I have become dedicated to wild Bettas and I suspect someone may be the cause of my impending doom(I responded to her EOI about wild Bettas and ordered a couple of dollars worth of fish - well more or less...LOL)

Posted

It's great to see you here Bill :) Of all the people I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know over the last 20 years (yes... it's been about that long I'm afraid lol), I've missed our conversations the most! I've never met a nicer gentleman. It sure is Simon :) You think you've got it tough with Pelvicachromis sp.... you should try it down here in Tas!!! I have pulcher here in normal and albino but that's about it. There were subos down here and taeniata (nigerian reds) but they never import both sexes... and the laws down here are stupid... I have a tank full of pulcher babies and can't sell them on... I end up having to feed them to my polleni :devil: The whole cichlid scene down here is pretty poor... which is maybe why I'm re-igniting my Betta passion... no species down here though.. strictly the domain of LFS veiltails LOL

So on this batch testing thing again... there was no response to my previous post and the way I see it the points were rather pertinent:

1. Iridoviruses are found in saltwater fish so are able to be brought here naturally in migratory fish.

2. If they concede that iridoviruses may already be here then if we can show that this is true then doesn't that make the legislation irrelevant? That seems to be how quarantine works down here in Tas with plants. As soon as a pest or pathogen is detected in plants down here the import embargoes are lifted.

Posted

TasV I (and I think somebody else) suggested the second idea once before, ie get tests done ourselves. No one really responded but how do you propose it be funded? I think that may be the issue.

Posted

They are valid points TasV :)

Right now I think our best hopes for stopping the new regulations from being imposed is for the petition to work, or for the people in charge of approving and implementing the regulations to notice how wrong the report is scientifically, ethically and economically. I was chatting to Bettarazzi the other day and he reiterated the fact that it will be very difficult and expensive to set up facilities to do the batch testing. I suggested that maybe this will force the officials to analyse the issue further to determine if it's really worth the trouble. The government will also not want to lose the tax it receives from the industry. Fingers crossed?

Posted

What does the RSPCA think about it?

Playing the Devil's advocate, I don't know that the amount of tax the Govt. receives from the importation of tropical fish would be comparable to the lost revenue from aquaculture and fishing related tourism (etc) should the viruses be shown to have an effect on native fish stocks. Down here (and maybe elsewhere, I don't know) a petition was organised to present to Peter Garrett's office on the proposed recreational ban on Mako Shark fishing. Now this is something I actually support because I don't like shark fishing and think that sharks are a most beautiful and necessary part of the ocean but I deliberated for a long time about it and in the end I DID sign the petition because of the lack of science behind it and because of what it represented... they hadn't bothered to do the research to determine what impact recreational fishermen were having compared with professionals and it seemed like they were just going after the easy targets so they could be seen to be doing the right thing. The motion was thrown out on the weight of the petition which had tens of thousands of signatures. This issue seems to be similar because I actually support more active and stringent testing of stock coming in from O/S but I do not support the lack of science behind it and the fact that they are going after the easy target AGAIN when they should be targetting things like the fish products from SE Asia that might contain the virus as well. The viruses may find its way into the system via this route via encapsulated virus bodies. Why aren't they taking the fight to the source and making it so that breeders sending things here must first satisfy quarantine that their stock is not infected with some form of accreditation? I can't import roses into Tas from people who do not have accreditation to send them. Batch testing them does not eliminate the threat either because how many will get through untested and how many infected fish do we need here to pose a risk... one... it's just stupid. Maybe the RSPCA can take it up as a cause as well... they have far greater resources than we do...

Posted (edited)

Ornamental fish have been imported into Australia for decades already. As I see it, there is no point in worrying about stopping the viruses from being imported now, because they are probably already here. If the risk of native stocks being affected was so high, why have cases been so rare, considering thousands or millions of potentially infected fish have been imported in the past?

I am not sure whether animal rights organisations getting involved in this issue would work in our favour. They might see banning ornamental fish importation as a good thing...

Edited by splendidbetta

Posted

any updates for if the batch testing is going ahead or not?

Simon

Posted

BUMP

Posted

Glenn Briggs at Bayfish said batch testing was "on hold"and there is now no time frame.Maybe they've worked out how ridiculous it is.

Posted

Thanks for the update Doug.... great news :)

Perhaps they are now working out how to place a carbon tax on batch testing to make some extra money out of it :)

Posted

Does this mean we WON?? *lol*

Posted

I wouldn't hold my breath.

The last I'd heard was they were trying to work out how to outsource the entire 'issue' to responsible 3rd party organisations.

Maybe they had problems with finding 'responsible' companies? We can only hope. At least it'll buy time to get a few more species in :-)

Posted

Ugh! That probably means some bunch of bozos will get a lucrative contract to provide testing services. What will really happen is they'll just sit on their fat bottoms doing nothing except collecting the massive fees and making life difficult for everyone.