Batch testing and wild bettas

188 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Now if we could just find the Director of Quarantine on twitter.....

Edited by MJay

Posted

D= really ! I thought u needed to be able to do it from ur mobile and mines really old.

ok i have a tweet can u guys tell me if its ok/correct or could be worded better cause its hard for me to read those big academic documents XD

"Australian fish need testing for iridovirus before murdering imports"

Posted (edited)

doesn't appear as though all my tweets are appearing on #batchtesting.... am I doing something wrong? Hope the retweets from Razzi and others get through....

Come on everyone - get on twitter and get our voices heard on this issue!

"Australian fish need testing for iridovirus before murdering imports"

Sounds good to me Neffy... go for it!!!

Edited by fishbites

Posted

so how do i do the fancy linking things? and how do i send a tweet to tony there was no "send this user a tweet" like what i expected T_T

tottal newb

Posted

type @Tony_Burke and reference it to #batchtesting and include @Lateline

Not sure if that's all but only started doing this tonight myself :)

Posted

hmm not sure it worked https://twitter.com/Nefily none of the links show my tweet on the page :( ill try again tomorrow

Posted

Really it ain't hard, me like Wayne hadn't used twitter before today. It worked fine, I just re-tweeted yours. Don't know why not all of them show up on the #batchtesting search, some of mine do, some not :blink:

Posted

Twitter's searches are a bit flaky. I use TweetDeck to read and tweet. And I also have the web version open. You can set up different columns in TweetDeck showing slight variations of the search. And sometimes I can have all the columns and the webiste showing different results. Then when you compare it to the widget on the front page and the widget is a couple of hours behind. Yeah I don't know. We're all just feeling our way. From what I can tell, there was nothing wrong with your tweet. It should have come up in the searches.

Posted

Does anyone know what RSPCA's view on this would be?

RSPCAQld, RSPCANSW and RSPCAau are all on twitter. I am not sure if they would work for or against us considering their views on other issues. :confused:

Posted

@tracygrimshaw (ACA host) lists herself as an animal lover in her bio.... might be worth a few tweets going her way...

RSPCA has a charter to protect all animals so might be worth a shot MJay....

Posted

Just got a response from @Tony_Burke....

@WRBettas no Wayne, it's not that there won't be changes. But they would be determined by Director of Qu not me. Under appeal now.

Posted

Anyone know who director of quarantine is? I googled and I'm finding Meryl Stanton...

Posted

It's frustrating to not know anything about this kind of issue. The government is always up for education, why not educate people to be aware of these issues and know the reason why they cant release imports into natural waterways or lakes. I would pay extra on an import so it includes documentation on the fish and its risks. Education on the issue helps all involved, including the beginner hobbyist like me. Where are countries deemed not to carry the viruses? could we start bouncing our imports off these countries. I'm aware that Chinese fruit was imported into Australia through NZ. China sends to NZ, Becomes NZ fruit, NZ sends to OZ. Could soon be the only way maybe?

Posted

Anyone know who director of quarantine is? I googled and I'm finding Meryl Stanton...

I believe it is the secretary of the Department, Dr. Connall O'Connell

Posted

LOL @ Connall O'Connell. What were his parents thinking?

Posted

ABC's Q and A program is on tonight and they show tweets at the bottom of the screen. I suspect these tweets are selected rather than being a live feed. But it would be interesting to see if tweeting #qanda makes it onto the tweet feed. I'm struggling to compose tweets that are relevant to today's show. But working on the principle that they're unlikely to do a show about the aquarium industry or quarantine or batch testing, I'm going to tweet #qanda anyway to see what happens. At the very least, the 10,000 plus followers might see our tweets even if it doesn't make onto the show. I saw someone tweet qanda asking for suggestions on what should be on their birthday wish list.. If they can do that, well, why not batch testing.

Posted

Sounds reasonable

Posted

LOL @ Connall O'Connell. What were his parents thinking?

Lol I had the same thought when I saw his name.

This is the response I have gotten from Gary Humphries, Senator for the ACT

"Dear Michael,

Thank you for raising these concerns with me, although I must confess I am a novice on the detail on these issues! Nonetheless, I do understand the importance of biosecurity to your business and I will do my best to find some answers for you.

I will represent your concerns to the next Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry – when commissioned – to see if we can extract some satisfactory response to the concerns you’ve raised.

I look forward to being in touch soon.

Regards,

Gary Humphries"

Posted

Ya SEE?? That's all I'm asking for. Something other than a cookie cutter response. Can you shere with us the letter/email you sent, MJay? We could all do the same to our respective MPs.

Posted

That would be great :)

Posted

Bob Brown on lateline tonight. Get your tweet on.

Posted

This is a copy of the letter that was sent to me by DAFF. We have until early October - time to seriously make some noise.

Essentially they only accepted a submission by PIAA and 2 others. The rest of us were a little clueless that you had to address the issue in a certain way.

The good news is there is an extension.

So, still worth sending in more petitions and getting media support.

I have a copy of a petition started by one of the shops that can be emailed and printed out if people would like to take it to their local store. It is in .docx format, so I can only open it in google docs myself, but that is still printable. I am taking a copy to the store today.

If you would like a copy please EMAIL me fishchick@gmail.com and I will send it to you.

" IMPORT RISK ANALYSIS APPEALS PANEL

SECRETARIAT

Ms Jodi-Lea Matheson

Fishchick Aquatics

Shop 17 Annerley Arcade

478 Ipswich Road

Annerley QLD 4103

Dear Jodi-Lea

I am writing to formally acknowledge receipt of your letter concerning the provisional final import risk analysis report for the importation of freshwater ornamental fish: review of biosecurity risks with gourami iridovirus and related viruses.

Your correspondence was forwarded to Mr Andrew Inglis AM, Chair of the Import Risk Analysis Appeals Panel (IRAAP). Mr Inglis has noted that, the ground for appeal (IRA Handbook 2007 (update 2009) – is that "there was a significant deviation from the regulated IRA process that adversely affected the interests of a stakeholder"). The IRAAP does not consider matters relating to the scientific merits of the IRA or the merits of the recommendations made or the conclusions reached by Biosecurity Australia.

In considering the information provided in your submission Mr Inglis has decided that the statement of reasons provided by you does not fall within the ground for appeal. However, Mr Inglis has decided that three of the appeals received do fall within the ground for appeal and that an IRAAP will be convened to consider these appeals. The IRAAP will report its findings to the Director of Animal and Plant Quarantine and to stakeholders by 7 October 2010.

If you have any further questions please contact me on 02 6272 4014, or by email at iraap@daff.gov.au.

Yours sincerely

Aaron Coles

IRAAP Secretariat

31 August 2010"

Posted

The IRAAP does not consider matters relating to the scientific merits of the IRA or the merits of the recommendations made or the conclusions reached by Biosecurity Australia.

That bit makes my head spin. So what can we appeal against? The report was in a lousy font?

Posted (edited)

IRA Handbook 2007 (2009 update) for anyone who wants to see what process should have been followed

The IRAAP does not consider matters relating to:

• the scientific merits of the IRA

• the merits of the recommendations made or the conclusions reached by Biosecurity Australia

or the Eminent Scientists Group.

Essentially, a rogue scientist could propose something ridiculous that is based on flawed scientific research and the appeals process rejects it because the appeals process doesn't take this into account!!!!

I guess if they let in seafood and bananas and other items that could actually ruin farming industries what hope have we got of them swinging entirely the opposite way and destroying an Aust industry through unnecessary killing of fish species!!

Edited by fishbites

Posted

If the only merits a report has are scientific, as in this case, how do you fight against it?