Batch testing and wild bettas

188 posts in this topic

Posted

I thought they would be useful if someone asked in a tweet what we were talking about

Posted

@Tony_Burke has responded to our tweets. He says it's got nothing to do with him. I suppose a direct response via Twitter is better than a generic letter. But I think we're going to need to make a lot more noise than just the 5 people that tweeted last night. Encourage everyone that cares to hop on to Twitter.

Posted

Tweets from Tony_Burke-

@MJay351 not a decision involving politicians Director of Quarantine acts independently by law Appeals process is underway now #batchtesting

@MJay351 that's what the appeals process is about. But there's not allowed to be any political interference in the preparation of the report

Posted

bettarazzi

@Tony_Burke Are you saying that you don't have any involvement as Minister for Agriculture? #batchtesting

Tony_Burke

@bettarazzi by law process and final decision all rest with Director of Quarantine. Sort of how judges are within A-G portfolio but indep

Posted

MJay351

@Tony_Burke What about hiring competent staff and scientists? Interfering or good governance? #batchtesting

LOL. Go MJay!! Give him a caning! *lol*

Posted

Love the Twitter widget Michael, thank you very much! Just curious why my tweets don't show up in it - any ideas?

Also thanks for the Facebook group, Stefan and Michael :)

Posted

Hmmm... I thought your tweets were there yesterday.

Posted

Found something odd about Twitter. Not everything appears when you do a #batchtesting search, which is what this widget emulates. For example, Becki's latest tweet appears in my followed list but not in the widget. Maybe it takes a while to update. And maybe it also drops older tweets off.

Posted

I was thinking that this morning when i did the tweet.

Posted

Fixed - my Twitter settings were set to private. I barely remember why I bothered to do that, now *lol*

Posted

Oh I see..... so only followers could see your tweets?

Posted

Yep. I used to have some followers who er... didn't like me.

Posted

Back on topic.

The big wholesale importers will be the only ones that can survive this. I don't think we really understand the extent to which small importers are responsible for the variety of fish available. It's the small importers who bring in the specialty fish. Altum angels, less common dwarf cichlids, fancy guppies, show bettas. None of these will come in. Furthermore, if the small importers are all gone a whole lot of species which aren't subject to batch testing won't come in either, simply because big wholesale importers will only bring in fish with mass appeal.

The wholesale importers won't deal directly with hobbyists so we can just forget about doing a large group buy annually. Besides, how many people would be willing to be involved in a hobby where you can't get started for a year? And I seriously doubt that there would be sufficient people to put together a large enough order. We would have to order hundreds for it to be considered by the wholesaler. The killie folk have been trying for decades to get different species in via legitimate means. Jodi only imports via Thailand and can't help them. All the other importers only bring in gold panchax, gardneri, E.annulatus, and A.australe. ALL killie species in Australia other than those four must have been smuggled in at some point. My prediction is that once all the small importers are gone we will only be able to get veiltail MALES. The big wholesalers don't import females now, why would they do it when batch testing makes it so much more expensive? If it's not commercially viable for them now, it's definitely not going to improve when this comes in.

Yeah, sure some of us will make an effort and make some last minute buys before Jodi closes shop. But let's be realistic. There just aren't enough of us to maintain a viable locally bred betta population. We're not doing now. Are we really going to be able to do it when it gets harder? Jodi has been importing for us for how many years now? How many us have actually maintained a line all that time? When someone posts a WTB in the Classifieds, how many responses do they get?

Posted (edited)

Would it be worthwhile at all if i speak to someone at Coburg aquarium about what they think will happen to their imports? and anything else? They have plenty of variety now and are a BIG store and a family business. They're really kind, helpful people i discovered and i live 10 mins away...

Random thought...

Wasn't going to but have now joined up to twitter. Come on guys we need numbers in the hundreds to hold much of a chance of having a big effect. If every active member on here re-tweets a single tweet a day (30 secs out of your day) thats a lot of tweets!

Edited by fishish

Posted

YES. Please speak to them. Ask them what they think. If they're worried, tell them to join our Twitter campaign. Ask them how confident they are that the farms they import from are 100% free from iridovirus. Just because they can afford to bring in 1000 guppies and sacrifice 45 for batch testing doesn't mean the guppies will get in. If the test comes back positive all 1000 guppies will be destroyed.

If a batch of fish tests positive and has to be destroyed. How will it affect their bottom line? How will batch testing affect the price of fish?

We don't even know that iridovirus is definitely not in Australia. How can it be? This all started when iridovirus was discovered in Murray Cod. The fish got infected when some FOOL farmer decided to feed some sick gouramis to them. And how did those gouramis get sick in the first place? Did they come out of quarantine and live in a germ free bubble? I think NOT!! Actually, they're not even certain about anything. The whole IRA is rubbish and full of holes.

Tell the guys at Coburg Aquarium to join our Twitter campaign.

Make sure that you set your tweets to be public not private. Only followers can see private tweets and I don't think they come up in searches.

Posted

Can you see my tweets? username fishish0 they seem to be set to public...

Posted

Hmm.... I couldn't see them. Maybe my theory about private tweets is up the pole. Maybe Twitter's search engine is just flaky. I'm following you now.

Posted

Tony Burke will be appearing on Lateline this evening. We should all tweet the host, Leigh Sales http://twitter.com/leighsales

Posted

You can also tweet http://twitter.com/Lateline

Posted

I wonder if its irritating them yet :P lets hope the squeeky door gets the grease.

Posted (edited)

I have already made several twitter posts directed at Leigh Sales, so if you don't feel like writing your own post, you can "retweet" some or all of mine. The more retweets and original messages we produce, the better!

https://twitter.com/biosymphony

Thanks everyone! :D :fish:

Edited by splendidbetta

Posted

Tony Burke will be appearing on the ABC's Lateline program this evening at 10.10pm Australian Eastern Standard Time. We are bombarding the host and the program with tweetshttp://twitter.com/leighsales and http://twitter.com/Lateline.

Don't underestimate the power of social media. We CAN make ourselves heard if we are loud enough and persistent enough.

If you believe that quarantine procedures shouldn't be based on bad science. JOIN US!

Once all the small importers have gone out of business there will be no imports of ANY specialty species. Not just those on the batch testing list. If this worries you JOIN US!

Register NOW at http://twitter.com/

Make your tweets public

Search for #batchtesting

Tweet immediately

If you can't think of anything to say just Retweet someone else's Tweet.

Posted

you guys are amazing ! some of the tweets contain alot of impact ! i dont have twitter capabilities unfortunetly but keep up the fantastic work !

Posted

Thanks Neffy! All you need is 3 minutes to set up a Twitter account, and then to hover your mouse over the tweets you like and click "Retweet" :D All the relevant tweets are here: https://twitter.com/#search?q=%23batchtesting

Posted

Twitter is FREE and can be set up almost instantly. If you have internet, you can tweet. Come on people! Show the love! Tweet it.